The Maurice R. Hilleman Essay Contest is a program of the Vaccine Makers Project, presented by the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The 2022 contest is co-sponsored by the Canadian Public Health Association on behalf of Immunize Canada with assistance from Kids Boost Immunity and Students for Herd Immunity.
Please use this page for U.S. entries only. (Click here for Canada residents entry page.)
- Complete this online form in its entirety and upload a PDF of your essay by the official contest deadline of 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 10, 2022.
- Before completing this form, please review the contest Official Rules including essay guidelines, eligibility, deadline, submission directions, and prize information with a parent or legal guardian at hillemanfilm.com/contest/rules.
- To complete this form, you will need the following:
- A PDF of your finished essay
- The following personal information: full name, address, date of birth and current grade
- The following information about your school: school name, teacher name and email
- The following information about your parent: name, address, email and phone number
- In addition, both you and your parent will need to sign the form. You will need to use the same computer to do so.
- You may save a partially completed draft of this form using the “Save Draft” button at the bottom of the page. However, please note that you need to return to this form within 7 days to complete your entry or what you have saved will be automatically deleted. Also, note that you must use the same computer and browser to return to your draft.
- If you prefer to mail your submission, please download the mail-in form at the bottom of this page and mail your entry to the address listed in the Official Rules by the contest deadline.
- Your essay must be 500-600 words in length.
- Your essay must be a response to the essay prompt, “Maurice Hilleman was a determined scientist. Describe what this means and provide an example of determination in science.” Any essays about other topics, regardless of how well written, will not be considered.
- Your entry must be received by the official contest deadline. Online entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 10, 2022. Mailed entries must be postmarked by June 10, 2022.
Questions related to the contest, the form, or the Official Rules should be emailed to the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia at email@example.com. Include the subject line “Student Essay Contest” in your email. Also, please indicate your country of residence.